You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Issac Luke is one of eight off-contract Broncos whose futures are not likely to be decided until the appointment of a new coach.

The 33-year-old hooker wants to play on next year but said on Monday that he had not spoken to anyone at Brisbane about his future.

That is not surprising considering board member Darren Lockyer, also on the club’s recruitment and retention committee, told NRL.com that player signings for 2021 would be a matter for Anthony Seibold’s replacement to have input into

Lockyer said it was likely a coach would not be installed until the middle of October.

Luke joins Ilikena Vudogo, Ben Te’o, Sean O’Sullivan, Rhys Kennedy, Richie Kennar, Jordan Kahu and Jamil Hopoate as uncontracted Broncos for 2021 in the club's top 30 squad.

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Luke: We've got to knuckle down

Luke said his wife had recently sent him a copy of a report that suggested he would be re-signed by the Broncos.

"I had to laugh, because I haven’t spoken to anyone,” he said.

"As senior players we have to make sure the group is more focused on our training and preparing ourselves for the game.

"That is what I am focusing on. I haven’t really spoken about contracts or coaches.

"I could suit up again next year … if it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t that is OK."

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Match Highlights: Titans v Broncos

Luke’s uncertainty about the future reflects what other Broncos players have told NRL.com.

They understand why that is the case, but would also like the club to make a decision on the next coach sooner rather than later with the next NRL contract year starting on November 1.

Luke, who has played 283 NRL games at four clubs, said clarity around the coach was one thing the players would need to prosper in the future.

"Hopefully a good pre-season and having a bit of clarity around the coach for next year and being able to get back to how the club started [the season]," he said when asked what the club needed.

"It started off really well and then went into that COVID period and it has been different since then. The only thing we can look forward to is getting back in pre-season and getting a bit of balance and stableness about what we want to be like next year."

The 15th placed Broncos have now lost a club record nine games in a row and are in danger of claiming the club's first wooden spoon.

The 18-6 loss to the Titans showcased an improved determination in defence but a complete lack of cohesion in attack.

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Get Caught Up: Round 18

"When you lose a lot it is like being in quicksand,” Luke said ahead of Friday night's away clash with the Eels.

"You fight so hard and you do some good stuff and some areas are through the roof, but you keep sinking.

"There were some really good signs [against the Titans] but we are not helping ourselves by playing out of our end, and this game is built on possession.

"We only got tackled inside their 30 [metre zone] four times in the first half.

"We are doing a lot of defending and doing some great stuff turning teams away, but there are two parts of the game which are attack and defence."

Eels v Broncos What will be the result of their clash?
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 0%