• Born in Tonga
  • Resides in Sydney, NSW
  • Debuted in 2014 for Sydney Roosters
  • Dally M Female Player of the Year 2017
  • RLPA Player of the Year 2017-2018
  • Harvey Norman Premiership Winner and Player of the Year 2018
  • NRL Community Program Deliverer since 2018

Biography

Simaima Taufa was born in Tofoa Tonga, but grew up in grew up in Auckland, New Zealand before moving to Sydney's west.

Coming from a Rugby Union background, Simaima began playing Rugby League in 2014 when she also made her debut in the national women's team, the Jillaroos.

She has been a mainstay of both the national and NSW teams ever since and has added a slew of awards to her mantlepiece.

Simaima was named the Rugby League Players Association Player of the year 2017-2018 and also won the Dally M for Female Player of the Year in 2017.

In 2018, the lock signed up to captain the Sydney Roosters for the inaugural Women's Premiership.

When she's not on the field, Simaima is currently studying and enjoys travelling in her free time.

She credits her parents as her inspiration for the sacrifices they made for her family to have a better life by moving them first from Tonga to New Zealand and then to Australia.

Simaima is passionate about the capacity of Rugby League to bring people from all backgrounds together and is keen to use her platform in the game to support the Voice Against Violence and State of Mind programs.

"Rugby League has taught me so much about myself and has broadened my knowledge and understandings about different cultures, people and social issues that occurs within our society.

"I believe Rugby League is an inclusive sport that caters for all cultures, genders, age and body types and it is a tool that can bring people and communities together. By being involved with Rugby League I believe we can make a difference in an individual life or an entire community," Simaima says.

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.